A black silicone cone that will stretch fit to any lens, the Ultimate Lens Hood is an incredibly versatile bit of kit. Attach facing forwards to block out unwanted glare and reflections when shooting through a window, or fit backwards to protect your equipment from the elements.
The 60mm diameter for the ULH refers to your lens BODY size, NOT the filter size. If you have a 58mm filter, then you will want the full size ULH as the lens body will be larger.
WHAT DOES IT DO?
Removing glare by day and reflections by night, the ULH can be used any time you need it. Whether you're shooting through a hotel window, a high-rise observation deck, the window of a bus or through an enclosure at the zoo - the ULH makes a massive difference, transforming a bad photo into a great one even before you start editing!
- Fits to your lens, rather than attaching to the glass. This means you're free to move around, change your angle and adjust your camera settings without having to detach anything.
- Leaves no marks on the window. This'll keep you on the good side of venue managers and their staff! The ULH is made of silicone, and is designed to rest against the glass, rather than attach to it.
- Perfect for crowded areas. Often the busiest tourist attractions leave very little room - or time - for great images. With the ULH on your lens, you take up no more room than you would normally, but your photos will come out better than anyone else's.
- Get drone-looking shots, without a drone. Ok, this one is a bit of a stretch, but you'll get such clear photos out of high-rise buildings that people won't believe they were taken through glass at all. Most cities around the world have banned the use of drones, so this is your next best option to get those cityscape bangers! (also works through helicopter windows...)
- Much more effective than a CPL. Polarising filters are known to modify and remove some reflections at certain angles but don't work to fully block the glare (especially at night). A good quality CPL is expensive, they change the colours in your photo and you'll need adapter rings to fit them to all your lenses. If you already own a CPL, add the ULH to your kit bag and get the best of both! (and the added weatherproofing the ULH provides!)
HOW DO I USE IT?
The ULH can be used freehand or on a tripod. The freedom to move around without any complicated setup is a real bonus in popular tourist locations and zoos where lots of wandering people make available space limited. Not to mention many of these venues have banned tripods entirely.
With options to stretch directly over the lens itself, or onto your existing rigid hood, the ULH will fit any lens body diameter upwards of 60mm. You can tilt your camera to shoot at a massive range of angles, and even use wide lenses. (*fit-tested up to 128mm - Canon 200mm F2.0. Wide tested to 16mm at full frame with no problems)
Shown above stretched over the 115mm diameter hood from the Canon 100-400 lens, the ULH could comfortably stretch even further. There is also a smaller version called the ULHmini for all smaller lenses and cameras (inc. Moment, ExoLens & Lemuro)
* A : 30 - 60 mm
* B : 60 mm or more
There are a huge range of lenses out there, so that's why the ULH is launching in two sizes. Generally speaking, if you're shooting with a DSLR, Mirrorless or Bridge camera then you'll likely be needing the full size ULH.
If you shoot with a smaller camera, your smartphone (with a Moment, Lemuro or Olloclip-type lens), or a pocket point and shoot then you're likely to be needing the ULHmini. (see below)
The easiest way to find out is to measure your lens body diameter, or look at the specification on the manufactures website. It's not the filter size you need to measure, it is the overall body width.
It wouldn't be a truly versatile piece of equipment unless it did more than one thing. For those not shooting in an urban environment all that often, the ULH makes a brilliant cover to help protect your camera from the elements.
While not a completely watertight solution, fitting the ULH in reverse does add a lot of protection to your setup. Whether it be rain or spray, mud or snow, sand or gravel - the ULH keeps all unwanted debris off the camera and lens while maintaining easy access to all the buttons.
ULH does not prevent anything getting onto the front element. This can be sealed up by attaching a protection (or simple UV) filter to the front of your lens, as the manufactures recommend. Crucially, the ULH will keep the camera clean and prevent any ingress into the buttons or lens mount.
Whether you're using a weather sealed camera and lens combination or not, it doesn't hurt to have a bit of extra protection. If you're not using a weather sealed combo, it's even more important to keep it covered when in less than ideal conditions!
An unexpected but extremely useful function: The Ultimate Lens Hood makes a great changing pad. Whether you're looking to swap lenses on a rough and uneven surface, needing to put your camera down on the sand, or just looking to protect your camera from scratches when you stop for lunch - the ULH is the perfect travel companion.
Lens hood The Ultimate Lens Hood Take Reflection-Free Photos Videos For photographers Universal Lens Body Diameter Of 30mm--60mm
The Ultimate Lens Hood